73bd0976391e9b52b298c3d52da80230e466043ca88b66391d74465fcfd0d1ef6c8ab7786d6c9cc1 Sneaky Dee's Breakfast ~ Eat Cheap TO

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Sneaky Dee's Breakfast

Yes, Sneaky Dee's may be an obvious choice for cheap eats.  There are many who are skeptics about their food and many more who are regular patrons of this famous Toronto establishment.  My impression of the food from Sneaky Dee's is usually paired with (a few of) whatever beer is on special.  My experiences are always positive and full of amazing nachos, enchaladas, guacamole and frijoles.  This post, however, is going to be my morning-after hang over cure of classic Sneaky Dee's breakfast.

431 College St. Toronto, Ontario.  South East corner of College and Bathurst

The exterior of Sneaky Dee's is covered in almost psychedelic, graffiti style paint and stone that looks like it could have been sourced from a 1970s fireplace.  Combining those elements with the awkwardly small patio and cigarette butt encrusted curbs that surround this place, it is easy to see why this place is overlooked by the upper crust of Toronto society.  

No, it's no four seasons, but it holds a special place in the hearts of many.  The venue above the restaurant has hosted some of the best bands you could think of during many different stages of their careers.  Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of U of T, Ryerson, OCAD and other post secondary students who have enjoyed many a drunken night at this establishment.  I know I have.

Eating at Sneaky Dee's in the morning was, admittedly a bit of a different experience.  I had never been for breakfast before and now I can say I am still a believer in their food.  While sitting in the graffiti laden and definitely psychedelic interior, I am still very honestly impressed by the work that went in to decorating this place.  

So the food.  I ordered the classic bacon and eggs because if you can't do bacon and eggs...  Something is not right.  I was not disappointed.  The size of the portion that was put in front of me was exactly what you would expect.  The presentation of the meal was obviously of little to no importance as this meal didn't look like much.  However, if you were going to a place that looked like Sneaky Dee's and expected dainty food, it would be a lot like going to a demolition derby expecting to see a formula 1 race.
The ketchup came in its own little jar, the potatoes were chunky and starchy, the eggs were eggs and the bacon was bacon (good no matter what).  This plate to anyone who is hung over is like a mirage in the Sahara after a week without water.  That fruit cup on the side was full of fresh fruit, which does earn this cheap meal a little bit of finesse points.  Of which it originally had very little.  Around me there were other plates of french toast and eggs Benedict, I did feel a little bit of food envy but that bacon, like a good friend does, held my hand through the whole meal.

Here is the proof on the bill.  $7.25 comes out to $8.19 and thanks to the demise of the penny, it rounds out to $8.20.





So lets get down to my rating of this meal at a glance.  When you think about the application for this meal, it is understandable why it does not have the best scores.

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment